The Reef Stewardship Foundation is announcing a new opportunity for taking a leadership role on our Board of Directors (BOD). Following a recent change to our bylaws (see details here) the RSF BOD has been reorganized and a new position, Research Director, is now open to interested applicants. The position announcement follows:
Title: Research Director
Voting status: BOD member with full BOD and membership voting rights
1. Terminal degree required (Ph.D) in marine biology, invertebrate biology, vertebrate biology (with marine ornamental focus), zoology, or a closely related field.
2. Minimum of 10 years experience in the marine ornamental industry, preferably in a research or leadership role.
3. Minimum of 3 years previous research grant experience, preferably with raising of marine animals, zooplankton, and/or live larval foods.
1. Minimum of one year of continuous membership with the Reef Stewardship Foundation. Preferably with familiarity of our past research and grant efforts.
2. Knowledge of survey methodology, data analysis, statistical research methods, and/or preparing research grant reports.
3. Previous committee experience in either academia or the marine ornamental industry.
4. Previous PI or co-PI experience on research grants. Preferably with experience in writing and submitting grant proposals.
This position is initially a volunteer BOD position with a one year term, renewable for a longer term upon mutual agreement of all BOD members. Salary may be available depending on grant funding and would be a negotiated contract on a grant by grant basis.
The research director will be a full BOD position with responsibilities including, but not limited to:
A. assist the Board of Directors in recruiting new members and in arranging public speaking engagements.
B. lead and/or assist the Board of Directors with program development and an ongoing research agenda.
C. assist the Board of Directors with writing and/or editing of grant proposals, grant progress reports, and finding new sources of funding.
D. assist the Board of Directors in determining the best approaches to increase credibility of the research efforts conducted by the Foundation with the intent to increase the chances of funding for future projects and the ability to publish peer reviewed research articles or books.
E. shall perform all duties incidental to the office of Research Director and such other duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors from time to time.
Note: Anyone interested in this position must be nominated for the position by a current RSF paid member and cannot nominate themselves.
Once a nomination is made and accepted by the nominee then 1) a cover letter explaining how the nominee meets the qualifications for the position and 2) a full CV, should be submitted to info (AT) reefstewardshipfoundation.org (replace the (AT) with a @ symbol, we are doing this to avoid spam).
This position will remain open until filled.
The Reef Stewardship Foundation an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Members of protected classes and individuals with the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the RSF’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences are encouraged to find an RSF member to nominate them and submit an application.
Please contact info (AT) reefstewardshipfoundation.org with any inquiries regarding the position.